Trying to look busy...

Monday, November 21, 2005

American Indian History?

Apparently, it's American Indian History month. So, to promote some kind of 'diversity awareness' my work has decided to setup a teepee in the main lobby. I went down to check it out the other day and I was bewildered at what I saw.

First of all, I’m not really sure how a teepee display in the lobby helps promote any awareness. Sure, there may be a historic element there, but do we really want people to think that Indians still live in teepees? Most people gave up living in teepees over 100 years ago when houses proved to be better.

When I saw the monstrosity, I immediately thought ‘Oh my God, what have they done?’ Let me describe. The teepee stands at approximately 25 feet tall. The base is about 12 feet in diameter. Larger than any teepee I have ever seen before. It is colored bright red, orange and yellow, has silhouettes of buffalo, coyotes and the horizon and made out of vinyl. The large poles that hold it up look suspiciously fabricated. Upon closer inspection, the vinyl material has machine-sewed seams running all over it. There are straps sewn on the bottom that are supposed to go around the poles to hold the sides down.

The display was disappointing. I was anticipating an authentic teepee, not one that was made at a factory. Aren’t there any Indians left that make authentic teepees using trees they cut down and cattle hides? (Of course, teepees used to be constructed with buffalo hides, but that would not be practical today.)

My work had a chance to exhibit something really interesting, something that could have taught about real American Indian life hundreds of years ago, but instead they just up put a huge orange and yellow thing that I have to walk around.

8 Comments:

  • This would NEVER fly in a politically correct city like San Francisco!

    In fact, they'd call it "Indigenous People's History Month."

    By Blogger freethoughtguy, at 11/21/2005 7:10 PM  

  • How did you like your personalized rhyme?

    By Blogger DaMasta, at 11/22/2005 3:08 PM  

  • Yikes! That doesn't sound very pretty at all. Maybe you could use for some exercise and run laps around it?

    By Blogger Crazy Me, at 11/22/2005 5:59 PM  

  • To be really honest, not all native americans lived in teepee's. What about the pueblo indians?

    I have a cherokee that lives down the road from me. He sets up a teepee every summer. It's actually really neat. I'm pretty sure it's fairly authentic too.

    By Blogger Sherri Sanders, at 11/22/2005 6:31 PM  

  • they could use it as a native american christmas tree later on...

    just put tinsel and doo-dads on it...

    By Blogger FU, at 11/22/2005 10:09 PM  

  • freethinker - The funny thing is this was done all because of political correctiveness.

    Damasta - Thanks...

    Angela - Dang, forgot my jogging shoes.

    Sherri - You're right, but I think all the natives that lived in this state used teepees. But not ones made out of vinyl.

    FU - Will you bring the candy canes?

    By Blogger lookingbusy, at 11/23/2005 11:13 AM  

  • The Pueblo Indians lived in the Colorodo region. I'm pretty sure that is still in the United States.

    By Blogger Sherri Sanders, at 11/23/2005 12:46 PM  

  • You have therefore determined that I do not live in Colorado.

    By Blogger lookingbusy, at 11/25/2005 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home