Trying to look busy...

Thursday, September 15, 2005

“Birthday potlucks” otherwise known as “Remember the old days?”

Today was this woman’s 50th birthday, so they held a potluck for her. Here in my new department, people usually just bring in some kind of cupcakes/cake/treats on their own birthday and the treats are gone by 10:00 am.

But, being that this was her 50th birthday, they held her a potluck. This was unlike any potluck I’ve ever been to though. They set up the food in a conference room. Everything good so far, right. There is a table with a bunch of chairs in the room. I figured, everybody will just grab their food, sit down, eat, then get up, get some cake and go back to their desk; no pressure. So I got my food and sat down. The atmosphere was strangely family-like. These people are not my family. Why did it feel like I was sitting down to a family dinner?

And the conversations were so boring! Imagine sitting around a table, as a 24-year-old man, with about 15 women and 1 other man all between the ages of 41 and 59. Plus, most of them have been working together for 20+ years. I have only been here in this department for 3 months. I wanted to just get up and leave so bad, but I knew I would get this awful look from everybody like ‘Where do you think you’re going?’

So I sat and waited it out. Finally, after about an hour somebody finally stood up and made a move toward the door.

What did I bring to the potluck? Well, they sent around a list, and there was a slot for a person to bring a veggie tray plus about 4 other people to help pay for it. My co-worker signed up to bring the veggie tray, and I was one of the people who signed up to help pay for it. I figured, veggie tray would be ~$15 divided by 5 people is only 3 bucks, right? Well she comes in with all these fresh vegetables, mushrooms, peppers, carrots, radishes, etc. She took them and cut them all and I just know it’s going to end up being more like $30 and I am going to be stuck paying her 6 bucks for something that hardly anyone touched because of course she was late and spent the first half of the potluck cutting the veggies.

Sorry this is so long… I hate reading long posts.

10 Comments:

  • I've been in the same boat. Another department had decided to do a 'summer potluck' and invited my department to it as well. My own fault totally, I told the other manager I would go halfsy's on whatever it was that he was bringing in. Well, it turned out to be hamburger patties and buns. I wanted to shoot him. In my case, however, I had to shell out a lot more then just $6. Naturally, I volunteered, so I couldn't say a word.

    By Blogger Sherri Sanders, at 9/15/2005 4:49 PM  

  • I hate potlucks. You never know what someone's kitchen is like at home. It could be crawling with bugs. Yuck!!

    By Blogger Crazy Me, at 9/15/2005 5:35 PM  

  • mmmmm...salmonilla...

    By Blogger LBseahag, at 9/16/2005 12:11 AM  

  • So how much did it cost??!

    Next time sign up to bring napkins or cups.

    By Blogger DaMasta, at 9/16/2005 3:47 PM  

  • i just go to eat... :) i'm only 22.. co-workers don't expect much of me :)

    By Blogger FU, at 9/18/2005 1:16 PM  

  • It was 5 bucks, by the way.

    By Blogger lookingbusy, at 9/20/2005 10:13 AM  

  • Well done!
    [url=http://rxzzqdxv.com/rwcb/uavf.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://kqeesgly.com/xddb/izkg.html]Cool site[/url]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/04/2006 1:19 AM  

  • Great work!
    My homepage | Please visit

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/04/2006 1:19 AM  

  • Great work!
    http://rxzzqdxv.com/rwcb/uavf.html | http://znvsnvsj.com/tvul/xnzj.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/04/2006 1:19 AM  

  • That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/29/2007 5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home